Let's face it, lasagna is boring. It pretty much always sucks. There is some potential though. I mean, it has a lot of cheese usually. That's a good start. But how could it be better?
My dad had the answer. In what must have been a moment of true clarity he thought to use cheese raviolis instead of the boring flat noodles that usually ruin what should be a tasty vehicle for baked cheese. He told me about his idea over the phone and I was instantly obsessed.
I made some sauce. Basically just crushed tomatoes, onion, red wine, some other herbs and shit I had in the cupboard. I got to use my stick blender which is always a fascinating experience. I cooked up a ton of pork sausage to really up the flavor. Got some ricotta, mozzarella, and the not frozen ravs from the grocery store. Then the layering began. I intentionally avoided any pattern, I like to keep my taste buds guessing. I put the ravs in uncooked and made sure there was enough moisture in the pan to cook them as it baked. I threw it in for maybe 40 min at 400? Just have to melt the cheese and give it some time for the pork fat to thoroughly spread through the dish.
I gotta say, I really nailed it. It made for some great lunches. I would just let it loft around the office, let a couple moans out while I ate, really make the coworkers jealous.
Remember, lasagna doesn't have to suck. It's my personal mission in life to resurrect boring food that sucks and make it great. I consider this a victory. Thanks Dad.
-Dan
Monday, December 19, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment